Here is a recipe for easy and delicious Sugar Cookies:
- 2 and 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Sanding sugar or sprinkles (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes using cookie cutters and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with sanding sugar or sprinkles (if desired).
Enjoy your sugar cookies!
Read about Homemade Brownie Recipe
Best Sugar Cookie Recipe Tips
Here are some tips for making the best sugar cookies:
- Use room temperature ingredients: Make sure your butter is at room temperature so it creams well with the sugar, and take the eggs out of the refrigerator in advance so they are not cold.
- Don’t overmix: Overmixing the dough can cause the cookies to spread too much or become tough, so be sure to mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Chill the dough: Chilling the dough helps prevent the cookies from spreading too much while baking and gives them a better texture.
- Roll the dough evenly: Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to an even thickness so the cookies bake evenly.
- Use a light hand with decorations: Too many sprinkles or too much icing can weigh down the cookies and hide their delicate flavor.
- Bake on a cool pan: Use a clean and cool baking sheet for each batch of cookies to ensure that the cookies bake evenly.
- Store properly: Store sugar cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to making perfect sugar cookies every time!
Is Sugar Cookies good for my health?
Sugar cookies can be a treat or a dessert and can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. However, they are high in sugar and calories, and should not be considered a healthy snack.
It’s best to limit your intake of sugar cookies and other sweets and focus on eating a balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein sources. If you have specific dietary needs or health concerns, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian.